Tuesday, October 6, 2015

For your consideration


(The problem... [blogpost])


[ 1st draft below ]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UPDATE COMING SOON... 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

↓         

THE SOLUTION   [ 1st draft --(*Stay tuned.(!!))]


Using sewage solids for cheap, rich fertilizer is a multi-billion dollar, billion ton innovation --- that's here to stay.

So it's time to implement



A Simple, Cost-Effective, Immediately Applicable and Permanent Solution 
to the problem of paint in the food-chain*



Fortunately all that's needed -- right now -- is little more than thoughtful, wide-spread co-operation.



To whit:

Rather than turning a blind eye to hazardous waste (i.e. paint) being washed down the drain (and cycled into our food chain), we could (should, iyam) instead adopt a user friendly schedule to deal with the bulk of the problem --- immediately. *
With current infrastructure.*
At almost no cost.*
And with almost no extra labour.*
Or, inconvenience whatsoever.*


E.g., a 70/30* weekly split


Just as we schedule our garbage collection, we could (should) likewise permit -- and account for -- paint waste streams a certain percent (e.g. 30%*) of the week  (e.g. 4:30pm Friday to 7:00pm Sunday**) while prohibiting it the remainder of the week (e.g. 70%*; 7:00pm Sunday to 4:30 pm Friday.**

This would allow our treatment plants to keep*² diverting the majority of processed waste into cheap, rich fertilizer; only unlike now, where it's routinely (systematically) laced with traces of paint, etc, it 'd instead be essentially toxin free.

With very little increase in cost, processing, labour, or transport...

An ENORMOUS improvement, if you asked me

- - - - - - - - - - -
And, moreover

The remaining -- compromised -- sludge is still generally (and or perfectly) fine for the already (equally) large NON-FOOD grade organic fertilizer market;
i.e. sod farming, landscape top-soil, and NON-FOOD gardening soils.

-- --


The downside(s)????

Spread the word --- because, relatively speaking, there really isn't one.*³


- - -


*i.e. Since the status quo alternatives are either (1) continuing to systematically poison our groceries or, (2), gradually depeleting our soils of rich organic biomass... well, lets just say I don't really expect it to be a particularly hard sell.  

[Again -- stay tuned. ]

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

**Btw, the 70/30—Fri aft to Sunday night is just a theoretical (first crazy-guess) starting point. (Just something easy to understand -- that communicates the idea... The actual determining factor -- and real, workable schedules -- will depend entirely on individual treatment plant logistics; i.e. the flow-through lag times, volumes, and phase shift (weekly(?), bi-weekly(??)) change-over / transition challenges. (i.e. The amount of time it actually takes to clear the system of trace toxins, in order to green-light the food-grade phase, each week.)
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks for your interest,
and all the best.   

[ Stay tuned. ]

. . . .
___________________________

*    Footnotes also coming.
*²Again STAY TUNED...
*³(AND / OR DROP ME A LINE, anytime.)